Tuesday 8 April 2014

Stories from the past - Kitty

I love interviewing people. I've chosen one to start our blog - Kitty was 102 when I interviewed her in October 2000.  She could talk from first hand experience about life before World War One.

She talks about family life, the'workers examination' entry to grammar school, minimum wage for children, starvation wages, the first 'council schools' forcing all children to attend school and about World War One.

She talks about the first labour government under Ramsay MacDonald in 1924 which 'changed everything', she talks about travel, shorthand, secretarial work and what it was like as a woman working between the wars.

The interview clip I enclose is big, but only half of the interview.  For transcript see below.


Kitty abridged transcript


1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    guy

    ReplyDelete